Note to Writers:
We have extended our submission closure period through Feb. 28, 2023 as we take our annual break and prepare Potato Soup Journal's fourth annual anthology edition. Any submissions received during that time will be deleted unread. We anticipate resuming submissions in March 2023. Check back here for updates.
Potato Soup is a literary journal committed to publishing the best in short fiction and nonfiction. We accept only original work that has not been previously published. We do take simultaneous submissions, but let us know if your work has been accepted somewhere else. We encourage both emerging writers and established authors to send in their work. While we would love to pay our writers, we can only offer publishing credit. Only one submission per category per annual quarter, please.
Fiction – should be a complete story, up to 3,500 words (no excerpts)
Flash Fiction – should be a complete story, up to 1,000 words
Ten Word Stories – should be a complete story, exactly 10 words (limit 2 per submission) Example: He woke. She had left. The note read: Dear John...
Nonfiction, essay or memoir – up to 2,000 words
We do not publish fan fiction or erotica, and will not consider any submission that degrades or demeans anyone. Don’t send us work that is racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic… you get the idea. No one likes a hater.
Submissions are accepted in electronic format only. Please send your story to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manuscripts must be in 12-point type, Times New Roman, and double-spaced. Please do not double-space between sentences -- this aggravates our editors.
- Put SUBMISSION in the subject line of your email, plus the type of submission and title. I.e. Submission-Flash Fiction-Title or Submission-Memoir-Title.
- Your email submission should contain:
- Your name
- Story title
- Full manuscript pasted into the body of the email - emails with attachments will be deleted unread
- Brief bio (optional) written in the third person
- Please proofread and spellcheck your work before submitting.
- We would be ever so grateful if you would not use the space bar to create paragraph indents. We have to remove all those spaces and it makes us cranky. Also, only one space between sentences.
We read every submission so please give us time to review your work. We respond to everyone, and you can expect a response in two to four weeks. If two months go by and you haven’t heard back, feel free to inquire further at email@example.com.
The Legal Stuff
We reserve first printing rights, including publication in Potato Soup in both printed, web and ebook formats, and the right to excerpt portions of an accepted work online in order to promote you, your work, and our anthologies. The copyright for work published by Potato Soup is always held by its authors. If we publish your work on the website, we reserve first North American electronic publication rights and the right to keep it here in our archives indefinitely. All other rights remain property of the author. If you want to reprint any work that originally appeared in Potato Soup, we ask that you credit the author and the publication.
Submit Your Manuscript
By submitting your story, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the publication terms described above.
Send your story to: firstname.lastname@example.org